To develop participant's confidence in the strokes learned in Level 3 and to improve other aquatic skills
Valid American Red Cross Learn-to-Swim Level 3: Stroke Development certificate or successful demonstration of all completion requirements from Level 3. Minimum age is 6 years or older.
- Headfirst entries from the side in compact and stride positions
- Swim under water
- Feet-first surface dive
- Survival swimming
- Front crawl and backstroke open turns
- Tread water using 2 different kicks
- Front and back crawl, elementary backstroke, breaststroke, sidestroke and butterfly
- Flutter and dolphin kicks on back
- Learn to look carefully before entering the water
- Learn what to think about and do when exhausted or caught in a dangerous situation
- Learn to perform simple non-swimming assists
- Learn about recreational water illnesses and how to prevent them
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills and activities, including in-water skills
- Successfully complete the following exit skills assessment:
- Perform a feet first entry into deep water, swim front crawl for 25 yards, change direction and position as necessary and swim elementary backstroke for 25 yards.
- Swim breaststroke for 15 yards, change direction and position as necessary and swim back crawl for 15 yards.