Learn-to-swim Level 5: Stroke Refinement
To further learn how to coordinate and refine strokes
Valid American Red Cross Learn-to-Swim Level 4: Fundamental Aquatic Skills certificate or
successful demonstration of all completion requirements from Level 4. Minimum age is 6 years or older.
- Shallow-angle dive from the side then glide and begin a front stroke
- Tuck and pike surface dives, submerge completely
- Front flip turn and backstroke flip turn while swimming
- Front and back crawl, elementary backstroke, breaststroke, sidestroke and butterfly
- Learn to look carefully before entering the water
- Learn what to think about and do when exhausted or caught in a dangerous situation
- Learn to perform simple non-swimming assists
- Learn about recreational water illnesses and how to prevent them
- Learn how to call for help and the importance of knowing first aid and CPR
- Learn basic safety guidelines for participating in aquatic activities at water-parks
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills and activities, including in-water skills.
- Successfully complete the following exit skills assessment:
- Perform a shallow-angle dive into deep water, swim front crawl for 50 yards, change direction and position of travel as necessary and swim elementary backstroke for 50 yards.
- Swim breaststroke for 25 yards, change direction and position of travel as necessary and swim back crawl for 25 yards.