To learn basic aquatic skills
Participants are 3 to 5 years old.
- Enter water by stepping in
- Exit water using ladder, steps or side
- Open eyes under water and retrieve submerged objects
- Front and back floats and glides
- Recover from a front or back float or glide to a vertical position
- Roll from front to back and back to front
- Tread water using arm and leg actions
- Combined arm and leg actions on front and back or back
- Finning arm action on back
- Learn how to stay safe, including recognizing an emergency and knowing how to call for help
- Learn how to stay safe in, on and around the water, including the use of a life jacket, recognizing lifeguards and sun safety
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills and activities, including in-water skills
- Successfully complete the following exit skills assessment (can be done with assistance):
- Glide on front at least 2 body lengths, roll to back, float on back for 5 seconds then recover to a vertical position.
- Glide on back for at least 2 body lengths, roll to front, float for 5 seconds then recover to a vertical position.
- Swim using combined arm and leg actions on front for 3 body lengths, roll to back, float for 5 seconds, roll to front then continue swimming on front for 3 body lengths.